Arizona State University and Great Hearts Announce Partnership
PHOENIX – Great Hearts and Arizona State University (ASU) are excited to announce the implementation of educational outreach and partnerships that will allow more student support for post-secondary education. The initiative will start at one of Great Hearts’ newest campuses, Maryvale Prep, located in the heart of Maryvale.
“Maryvale Preparatory Academy is thrilled to partner with ASU on this endeavor, and we’re grateful for the generous support of the Burton Family Foundation without whom this partnership would not have been possible,” said Mac Esau, prep headmaster at Maryvale Preparatory Academy. “The purpose is to create a long term and sustainable college-going culture that will result in 100 percent of our students attending college. We are dedicated to our students and community here in Maryvale and we know that, when given the right tools, the odds of achieving success beyond the Great Hearts classrooms increase exponentially.”
ASU has appointed a program coordinator for the Maryvale Prep parent and student community that will spend time on the campus each month. The coordinator’s focus is to ensure students and families are aware of the college preparatory services available to them through ASU.
“ASU is committed to delivering high-impact programs and services and access to education and opportunity for all,” said Edmundo Hidalgo, vice president of Education Outreach Partnerships at ASU. “Through strategic community partnerships, ASU aims to increase the number of students prepared to enroll and succeed in college and thrive in the 21st century economy. This spring, we are pleased to partner with Great Hearts Maryvale Prep to introduce a range of college readiness programs, resources and support to students and families served by the school community.”
The ASU partnership will include several nationally recognized programs and initiatives:
- American Dream Academy: Beginning this spring, the first class will be held on Thursday, April 4, in the evening and continue once a week until May 23. The eight-week program gives families the tools and confidence to make sure their children have successful academic careers and prepare for a university experience. It will target 9th graders but will also be open to other grades, space permitting.
- Barrett Summer Scholars: This summer residential program will be geared toward 8th and 9th grade. It provides students the opportunity to experience college firsthand and prepare for enrollment and success at Barrett, the Honors College at Arizona State University. The residential program invites students to live on campus, engage in college-level coursework, and participate in a community of peers from across the state.
- Summer Experience at West: This day program will be focused on Maryvale high school students, and will allow the students to gain exposure to the academic rigors of university and college life. Participants will enjoy interactive activities that may include research, laboratory visits, presentations, seminars, college-major explorations and panel discussions led by current ASU students and faculty. ASU is providing 20 scholarships for Maryvale students.
- Caesar Chavez Leadership Institute (CCLI): This leadership program will be for students at Maryvale Prep in the coming years. The residential program, for rising juniors and seniors, focuses on leadership and civic engagement to help students make an impact in their community. More than 1,300 students have completed CCLI and achieved academic success, improved their community and continued to mentor other CCLI families.
- Future Sun Devil Family Day: Great Hearts will promote this family program to all of its school students and coordinate with families to have as many students attend as possible. The program is held four times per year at various ASU locations, including Polytechnic, Tempe, Downtown Phoenix, and West, and focuses on sharing college preparation information with students and families of all ages. Participants are able to tour the campus, hear from ASU current students and alumni about their experience and get information on college admissions and financial aid.
- College application, scholarships and financial aid awareness: Great Hearts will work with ASU to ensure students and families are aware of and on track to meet ASU enrollment requirements, scholarship and financial aid opportunities.
Maryvale Preparatory Academy is a member of the prestigious Great Hearts Academies network of prep schools in metro Phoenix. The public charter school currently has more than 600 students in grades kindergarten through 9th. It is located at 4825 W. Camelback Road in Phoenix.
Great Hearts is a nonprofit network of tuition-free public charter schools dedicated to improving education nationwide through classical preparatory K-12 academies. More information can be found at greatheartsamerica.org.
About Great Hearts
Great Hearts is a nonprofit network of tuition-free public charter schools dedicated to improving education nationwide through classical preparatory K-12 academies. As the largest provider of liberal arts classical education campuses in the country, Great Hearts Academies serve more than 17,000 students at 29 tuition-free public schools in greater Phoenix, Ariz. and San Antonio and Irving, Texas, with waitlists that typically exceed enrollment. Great Hearts provides a robust liberal arts curriculum incorporating advanced math and science, a focus on the arts and foreign language, and a range of extra-curricular activities and athletics. Learn more at www.greatheartsamerica.org.